In this tropical paradise, romance is almost inevitable. Even more so, is the perfect romantic wedding that can be created. With guaranteed sunshine and stunning backdrops for the Big Day, there is no better place to say ‘I do’ to the one you love than in Antigua and Barbuda. The destination was voted Caribbean’s Most Romantic Destination for the fourth time in a row by the World Travel Awards, with some of the world’s most intimate and secluded locations, it’s no wonder!
Antigua and Barbuda provides the ultimate setting for dream weddings and honeymoons with all the facilities and expertise available to ensure you get hitched without any problems. No waiting period or residency requirements for a wedding license to be issued and an array of wedding planners means arranging your Big Day is a breeze and as stress-free as possible.
Requirements for obtaining a license
Weddings in Antigua
With some of the world’s most romantic and secluded locations, Antigua and Barbuda provides the ultimate setting for dream weddings and honeymoons with all the facilities and expertise available to ensure you get hitched without any problems. No waiting period or residency requirements for a wedding license to be issued and an array of wedding planners means arranging your Big Day is a breeze and as stress-free as possible. Getting married is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
One of the parties must be resident in Antigua & Barbuda for a period of 15 days immediately preceding the date of the application for the licence. The application for an ordinary licence must be accompanied by a fee of US$40/EC$100. There is a registration fee of US$37/EC$100 and a certified copy of the marriage certificate can be obtained for US$10/EC$27.
The petition for a special license must be accompanied by a fee of US$150/EC$405. There is a registration fee of US$37/EC$100 and a certified copy of the marriage certificate can be obtained for US$10/EC$27. There is no wait time in order to obtain a special licence.
You will need:
1. VALID PASSPORTS
2. PROOF OF STATUS
Single: A declaration, signed within Antigua and Barbuda
Divorced: Original Decree Absolute which includes the seal of the Court issuing the Decree of certified copy of Decree Absolute
Widow/widower: Marriage Certificate and Death certificate of husband/wife
3. APPLICATION FORM
Filled out and signed at the Ministry of Legal Affairs on Queen Elizabeth Highway
4. PROOF OF AGE/CONSENT
Both applicants must be over the age of 18 years. If under, then written parental consent must be obtained.
Both parties must be present at the time of the application.
For further information please contact the Ministry of Legal Affairs, 1-268-562-0381
Before booking, identify your needs
The setting for your special day is of the utmost importance. Whether in a tropical garden, on top of a hill, on a stretch of white sandy beach or out sailing on a yacht, you should consider the following:
- A bridal arch and bouquet
- Flowers and table decorations
- Wedding Cake
- Transport to and from the venue (taxi, limousine, horse and carriage, boat or even a helicopter)
Top Antiguan Wedding Tips
- Make sure you do not get sun-burnt before your special day! Try and wear the same type of straps as your wedding dress when out in the sun and the same goes for the bridesmaids.
- Get married in the afternoon, it will be a little cooler.
- Don’t expect your hair and make up to behave the same as at home. The heat and the humidity will have an effect, so have a trial run once you arrive on island.
- Make sure your attire is suitable for the type of wedding you want – there is nothing worse than a perspiring groom in full morning suit, tie and shoes on the beach or a bride in heels and a train walking along the sand.
- The wedding is performed by a civil marriage officer.
- The day selected for the ceremony depends upon parties.
- There is a marriage officer for a fee of EC$270 or US$100.
- Ceremonies can be performed between the hours of 6am and 6pm.
- Every marriage must be solemnized or celebrated in the presence of two or more witnesses who are 18 years or over.
Location, location, location
Venues in Antigua and Barbuda
In Antigua & Barbuda, which is among the worlds top ten destinations for weddings and honeymoons, hotels offer various affordable packages from which the bride and groom can choose. So, besides the nuptials, couples get a tropical holiday thrown in for good measure! The catering, flowers, photography and music even cake and champagne will be well taken care of. If you are short of bridesmaids, a best man, or maid of honour, they can be supplied as well.
The most romantic day of your life will be one that you will forever remember and cherish. Your wedding venue can be a tropical garden, the courtyard of your hotel, on the beach or out sailing anything you desire to make this a very special day. The honeymoon will be just as unique and you can always come back next year to celebrate your first anniversary or, in the future, renew your vows. All in all, the entire wedding and honeymoon package, including airfares, can be a lot more attractive than the cost of the nuptials at home.